Sunday, October 27, 2019

"They Call the Wind Mariah" | Paint Your Wagon | Cover

Well.

After a certain special somebody released a (REALLY AWESOME AND HAPPY) song cover on her blog, and after a couple of you were so stinking sweet as to ask me if I'd be interested in doing the same thing, I decided, what the heck, I might as well try it. ;-P

I was going to do a different song, but technology conspired against me, and it turns out I'll be showing you "They Call the Wind Mariah," which I understand to be originally from the musical Paint Your Wagon (I haven't seen it).  You can check out the karaoke video I used here.  All rights to the proper owners, etc.  (And yes, I know it's technically Maria, not Mariah, but this is how I was first exposed to it so I'm writing it the way that I want to write it.  So there. :-P)

This isn't perfect; my voice wavers a leetle off-key a couple times, I'm pretty sure (*cough*); yada, yada, yada.  I hope you enjoy it anyway. :)  (Also, I changed some of the pronouns so it'd make more sense coming from a female singer.)


[Ensemble]
Mariah
Mariah
They call the wind Mariah

[Solo]
Away out here, they got a name for rain and wind and fire
The rain is Tess
The fire's Joe
And they call the wind Mariah

Mariah blows the stars around and sends the clouds a'flyin'
Mariah makes the mountains sound like folks were up there dyin'

[Ensemble]
Mariah
Mariah
They call the wind Mariah

[Solo]
Before I knew Mariah's name and heard her wailin' whining
I had a boy and he had me and the sun was always shining
But then, one day, I left my boy, I left him far behind me
And now I'm lost, so gone and lost
Not even God can find me

[Ensemble]
Mariah
Mariah
They call the wind Mariah

[Solo]
Out here, they got a name for rain, for wind and fire only
But when you're lost and all alone
There ain't no word but 'lonely'
And I'm a lost and lonely girl, without a star to guide me
Mariah, blow my love to me
I need my boy beside me

[Ensemble]
Mariah 
Mariah
They call the wind Mariah

[Solo]
Mariah
Mariah
Blow my love to me

22 comments:

  1. Ah!!! I'm so happy to hear your voice!! You sound beautiful!!! I also really love this song and it was the inspiration a character (named Mariah) who I once wrote, so it made me really happy to hear that someone else knows it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Whoa, really?? That's so neat, I love that. :D

      Delete
  2. I don't know the song but your voice is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sarah! Hope you're well. <3

      Delete
    2. I am thanks! <3. I hope you are too. *hugs*

      Delete
  3. Your voice is so lovely, Olivia! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nicely done, Olivia. You have a beautiful voice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHAAAAATTTT. Girl. YES.

    *claps long and hard* YOU TALENTED PERSON, YOU. This was beautiful. I've never heard this song before, but it's very intriguing and "dancing"; it reminds me of Pocahontas songs a little? Idk.

    But anyways, your voice . Eeeeeee. Tis beautiful. I'm so happy you posted this. :')

    Also, the second "Mariah" at the end of the song....wow. Power singing there. 10/10

    THIS IS JUST SO GOOD AND I'M SO GLAD YOU POSTED THIS. :D

    Ps. D'aww thanks for the linky. ♥

    PPS. Again, this is BEAUTIFUL. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DAWWWWW. *BLUSHES*

      You're so sweet. XD

      Isn't it a pretty song? *gasp* Ooh, YES! Pocahontas is a good comparison.

      :D :D :D

      Of course! Awwwwww. <3 *hugs back*

      Delete
  6. I've never heard of this song before, but oh my goodness your voice is BEAUTIFUL, Olivia!!! I love it!!! So clear and rich. I am so proud of you for sharing this!!! *blows kisses*

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. I would LOVE to hear more covers from you!!! *hint, hint*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee awww, thank you. ;) I have been thinking about a few other possibilities, so we'll see!

      Delete
  8. Ahh, I LOVE THIS!!! :D :D :D

    I don't actually know the song (at first I thought it was from Pocahontas!) but it's very unique! Super cool. :) And you sing it beautifully! I love your soprano voice. <3 (A fellow soprano! Hooray! ;D)

    More please. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thank you, Gabby! You're very kind. <3

      Delete
  9. Such lovely voice.. Looking forward for more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww.. you are amazing! Such a lovely voice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this song. The movie is weeeeeeeird and I don't recommend it, but this one song is gorgeous. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, okay. Thanks for letting me know about the movie. And yes, I love this song, too! Thank you. :)

      Delete